During World War II, Kamiseya was used by the Imperial Japanese Navy as a torpedo assembly plant. Kamiseya re-opened in 1952 as a facility of U.S. Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station (NAVCOMTELSTA), Japan. On Jan. 15, 1960, the station became U.S. Naval Security Group Activity, Kamiseya with approximately 1,500 personnel assigned. With the disestablishment of that activity on July 1, 1971, NAVCOMTELSTA Japan reassumed command of the facility and it was renamed U.S. Naval Radio Receiving Facility (NAVRADRECFAC) Kamiseya, Japan. On Oct. 1, 1994, NAVCOMTELSTA Far East and NAF Atsugi executed a Memorandum of Agreement initiating the functional transfer of NAVRADRECFAC Kamiseya to the CINCPACFLT claimancy, as U.S. Naval Support Facility (NSF), Kamiseya.
In June 1995, three of the six NSF Kamiseya’s tenants, Naval Security Group Activity, Joint Intelligence Command Pacific Detachment, Pacific, and U.S. Marine Corps Detachment relocated.